Contact Us Sitemap Privacy Policy Communication Policy Social Media Policy

Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I find out about Japan-related events / social clubs?

Take a look at our What’s On page, or sign up to our monthly e-bulletin to keep up-to-date with all our news and events. For information about what’s on at other Japan-related organisations in the UK, see our links page.

Do you have any job vacancies or internship opportunities at the Japan Foundation?

We will advertise any opportunities in the press, through other Japan-related organisations and on this website, as they become available.

I’m doing a project in Japan. Can you help me?

Generally, the Japan Foundation assists with Japan-related events outside of Japan. However, we do offer some assistance for activities taking place in Japan, such as academic research and language study. Please check our Funding page for more details.

I am looking for Japan-related cultural objects or materials. Can you help?

The Embassy of Japan and the Japan Society can loan cultural objects and materials to educational organisations, and may be able to advise you further. Two shops in London that may be able to help you are the Japan Centre and JP-Books. Click here to find out about Japanese language teaching resources.


I’d like to apply for one of your funding programmes. What should I do?

It is a good idea to e-mail the person responsible for the programme you want to apply for, with a short summary of your proposal. They will then be able to advise you of your eligibility and tell you the best way to proceed. Check who you should contact on our funding page.

When is the deadline for the next round of funding programmes?

Most programmes have an annual deadline around late November or early December. However, some programmes have rolling deadlines, so it is best to check with the person responsible for the programme you want to apply for.

Can individuals apply for Japan Foundation support or do I need to be part of an organisation?

This depends on the programme – for some types of funding you must be part of an organisation but others are intended only for individuals. Please check with the person responsible for the funding programme you want to apply for.

Can I apply to the Japan Foundation retrospectively?

No, you must apply for our funding before your project starts

I would like to apply to other funding bodies as well as the Japan Foundation? Is that OK?

Generally we are happy to be co-funders, but please check with the person responsible for the grant programme you are applying for.

What other grant-giving organisations are there?

In addition to the Japan Foundation, the two main organisations in the UK that give grants for Japan-related projects are the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation and the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation. For information about funding for schools, click here.

Arts & Culture

I would like to take British theatre companies or exhibitions to Japan. Would the Japan Foundation help financially?

Although we are happy to give advice, the Japan Foundation’s primary concern is to assist Japan-related events taking place outside Japan. Should you wish to take your company to Japan, please contact the relevant organisations, such as the British Council for help.

Japanese Language

Please click here to view a full list of all FAQs relating to Japanese language education.

Japanese Studies

Do you give grants for school projects?

The Japan Foundation’s Japanese Language Local Project Support Programme enables schools and other institutions to apply for up to £3000 to fund Japanese language related projects. We do not give cash funding for non-Japanese language related school projects, but we can put you in touch with other organisations that do. For information about general support that we offer to schools teaching Japanese language, click here.

Can the Japan Foundation support the cost of my undergraduate study?

Sadly, the Japan Foundation cannot give grants for undergraduate study in any country.

Do you have a list of universities where I could study in Japan?

It is best to contact the Embassy of Japan for this information. Click here for links to other organisations that can advise you on studying Japanese in Japan.

How can I get funds to do postgraduate work in Japan?

Our Fellowship programme has a category for doctoral candidates from the UK wishing to conduct research in Japan for PhD dissertation purposes. The Japanese Language Programme for Specialists in Cultural and Academic Fields provides intensive residential training in Japan to specialists including postgraduate students who need a good command of Japanese language to conduct fieldwork and research. Teachers of Japanese may be interested in our overseas training programmes for teachers of Japanese which include the Graduate Programme on Japanese Language and Culture (Master's Course).

We do not offer any other grants for postgraduate study in Japan. Please contact the Embassy of Japan for details of the MEXT Scholarships for Postgraduate Research in Japan.

How can I apply for a Japan Foundation Fellowship in Japanese studies?

Please contact The Japan Foundation London or visit our Funding page.

How can I apply for a Japan Foundation grant for an international conference?

The Japan Foundation has a number of programmes designed to support the holding of international conferences in Japan or the UK. For full details please go to our Funding page or contact The Japan Foundation London by e-mail.

Book Loan Service

Please click here to view a full list of all FAQs relating to the Book Loan Service.