A big thank you to everyone who visited the Japan Foundation’s stand at the Hyper Japan 2012 on the 23rd, 24th and 25th November.
HYPER JAPAN is the UK's biggest celebration of Japanese culture, Japanese cuisine, and Japanese cool. The Japan Foundation London held a stand for the first time ever at this event, which gave visitors a chance to find out more about studying Japanese language.
One of the highlights of our stand was our Japan Quiz, which over 1,000 people entered.
The answers to the quiz were as follows:
1. What is the capital of Japan? a) Tokyo b) Seoul c) Beijing
Answer: a) Tokyo (Seoul is the capital of South Korea, and Beijing is the capital of China)
2. Which of these is NOT a Japanese martial art? a) Judo b) Karate c) Kung fu
Answer c) Kung Fu, which is from China.
3. What is “Hello” in Japanese? a) Konnichiwa! b) Sayonara! c) Wagamama!
Answer a) Konnichiwa is “hello” in Japanese (Sayonara means “goodbye,” andwagamama means “self-indulgence”)
4. Which of these kaomoji (Japanese emoticons/smileys) means, “I’m happy”?
a) (>_<) b) (^_^) c) (X_X)
Answer: b) (^_^) represents a smiling face. (>_<) is an angry face, and (X_X) is dizzy/confused!
5. What noise does a dog make in Japanese? a) Chu chu! b) Nya nya! c) Wan wan!
Answer: c) “Wan wan” is a dog’s bark in Japanese. “Chu chu” is a mouse’s squeak, and “nya nya” is a cat’s meow.
Out of those who answered the quiz correctly, we will soon pick five at random to send our Japan Foundation Goody Bag. Good luck to everyone who entered, and keep checking your emails to see if you were a winner!